Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chaing Mai - Day 1-2

DSCN0158

Friends and Fam,

So far all good. I saw the Big Unit Bill Micheals in the airport. THe flight was quick, as I time warped with sleeping medication and Japanese brewsky. All Nippon airways treats you like a king! Hot towels, nice meals (I ate eel), green tea, beer, wine, and smiles cemented into the faces of their 5'1'' 100 lb cutie-supreme flight attendants. I find it funny that asian airlines still maintain the 1970's physical requirements for their flight attendants.

Spent one quick night on the outskirts of Bangkok. Listened to some Dutch dudes argue about religion for awhile, then relocated to some kids from Nebraska who smoked less cigs in my intimate space. Dorm room hostels really blow. There were 10 beds in my room. So there are always people coming in n out and turning on lights, and someone undoubtedly roar-snores like Kong.

I arrived in Chiang Mai (North) this AM. THis place is epic. Small narrow streets packed with OUTDOOR CAFES and trinkit shops. Super touristy, but also with much culture. Such a peaceful, comforting spot. Internet is everywhere and white people are in ready supply to point you in the right direction.

I've stared to dabble in the street food. Some stands look good, but others are a sketchFest. Some street vendors clearly do not wash their hands after they poop, but overall the stuff is pretty edible. The cleanliness is not comparable to that of Mexico and sanitary conditions are taken somewhat seriously.

Chiang Mai is the jam for the following reasons...

-I just got a 90 minute massage from a 4' Thai woman for $4.

DSCN0160

-Feasted for $3, capped with a fruit smoothing
-My own room equipped with shower, AC, and a bed that could sleep 2-3 Lers
I havent been here long, but more fun to come. Nap, then going to meet up with a Madison Mifflin neighbor whos teaching here. Then rage like Joe Madden on a Badger gameday.
Keep you in the loop.

DSCN0203

Newski

No comments:

Post a Comment